The Municipality’s Business Licensing Department is encouraging all businesses to renew their operating licenses by no later than 31 January 2021 in order to continue conducting business for the year.
This procedure is conducted annually and is very critical under Section 15 of the Businesses Regulations in terms of the Business Act 71 of 1991. The Act requires that every license holder must every year confirm that the business for which the license was issued, is continuing to be conducted from the premises specified in the license. And that no other business for which a license is required in terms of the Act is being conducted from the same licensed premises.
The Municipality’s Head of Business Support, Tourism and Markets Unit, Thulani Nzama said licenses are valid for a calendar year. “Renewal is a statutory requirement and ensures compliance as well as proper management of businesses. The business licenses that need to be renewed are within the sectors of Food Establishments (ITEM 1) and Health or Entertainment Facilities (ITEM 2).”
Businesses can renew licenses via the Licensing online portal under E-services on the Municipality’s website: www.durban.gov.za or alternatively visit their nearest Business Licensing Offices, where they initially applied for the trading license.
Industries and traders are urged to start the renewal process while there is still ample time because after the deadline of 31 January 2021, License Inspectors with other law enforcement agencies will be conducting random inspections to all businesses that did not renew to enforce compliance. Those found to be in contravention of the Act will be prosecuted. They can be issued with summons and their licenses subsequently withdrawn after due processes have been invoked.
There are no fees applicable for renewal. For more information, kindly contact 031 311 4535 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for Central Region. Those located in the North Region can contact 031 322 1803 or email: email@example.com
The West Region can call 031 311 6209 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org and contact number for South Region is 031 311 5867 or email: email@example.com
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO SUCCESSFULLY RENEW THE LICENSE ARE AS FOLLOWS:
1. Original license
2. Certified copy of the license holder’s Identity Document
3. Proxy letter (if the applicant for renewal is not a license holder)
4. South African Police Service fingerprints clearance with “No illicit activity identified” (For all persons in effective control of the business for health facilities or entertainment businesses) – NB: This applies for ITEM 2 license holders only
5. Close Corporation or Company documents (if the license holder is the CC or PTY LTD.
6. The annual notification form can be downloaded from the Business Licensing webpage or collected at Licensing offices or the form can be completed online via the online portal.